January 17, 2023
Apple introduces the new Mac mini with the M2 and M2 Pro—more powerful, more capable, and more versatile than ever before
Starting at just $599, the Mac mini just got even more affordable
Cupertino, California Apple today unveiled the new Mac mini, supercharged by the all-new M2 and M2 Pro. Thanks to the M2 chip, the Mac mini is even more powerful, capable, and affordable, starting at just $599. The new M2 Pro chip brings professional-grade performance to the Mac mini for the first time, enabling users to run high-performance workflows previously unimaginable in such a compact design. Mac mini with M2 and M2 Pro delivers faster performance, more unified memory, and advanced connectivity, including support for up to two displays on the M2 model, and up to three displays on the M2 Pro model. Paired with the Studio Display and Magic accessories, along with the power and ease of macOS Ventura, Mac mini delivers an exceptional desktop experience that will take users’ productivity and creativity to the next level. Customers can order the new Mac mini models today, with them available starting Tuesday, January 24.
With incredible capabilities and a wealth of connectivity in its small design, Mac mini is used in many places and in many different ways. “The Mac mini with M2 is a tremendous value, because it offers greater performance and a lower starting price,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “And for users who need powerful professional performance, the Mac mini with M2 Pro is a no-brainer.” It’s like any other desktop computer in its class.”
More performance with the M2 and M2 Pro
Compared to the previous generation of Mac mini, the M2 and M2 Pro deliver next-generation faster CPU and GPU, significantly higher memory bandwidth, and a more powerful media engine to Mac mini, delivering exceptional performance and industry-leading power efficiency . Both models feature an advanced thermal system for exceptional sustained performance.
Mac mini with M2.0
Mac mini with M2 features an octa-core CPU with four high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores, along with a 10-core GPU — perfect for users looking for blazing-fast performance and productivity starting at $599. Everyday tasks are a snap – from starting up and multitasking between apps to browsing the web. For users who do more intensive tasks, Mac mini with M2 also handles even the most demanding workloads. With up to 24 GB of unified memory and 100 GB/s of bandwidth, activities such as image editing in Adobe Photoshop are up to 50 percent faster1 from the previous generation. The M2 also adds ProRes acceleration to the Mac mini, so tasks like video editing in Final Cut Pro are twice as fast.1 The M2 can also play up to two streams of 8K ProRes 422 video at 30fps simultaneously, or up to 12 streams of 4K ProRes 422 video at 30fps. With all this performance, the Mac mini is up to five times faster than the best-selling Windows desktop,2 Offering incredible value to first-time PC buyers, upgraders, and PC changers.
When compared to a Mac mini with an Intel Core i7 processor,3 Mac mini with M2 offers:
- Up to 22x faster machine learning (ML) image upscaling performance in Pixelmator Pro.
- 9.8x faster complex timeline rendering in Final Cut Pro.
Compared to the previous generation Mac mini with the M1,1 Mac mini with M2 provides:
- Up to 2.4x faster transcoding of ProRes code in Final Cut Pro.
- Up to 50 percent faster job and filter performance in Adobe Photoshop.
- Play up to 35 percent faster in Resident Evil Village.
Mac mini with M2 Pro
M2 Pro brings professional performance to Mac mini for the first time. Featuring up to 12 CPU cores with eight high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores, along with up to 19 GPU cores, the M2 Pro has 200GB/s of memory bandwidth—twice the amount in the M2—and supports up to 32 gigabytes of memory. The next-generation Neural Engine is 40 percent faster than the M1, speeding up ML tasks such as video analysis and image processing. Designed to dramatically accelerate video playback and encoding while using very little power, the M2 Pro delivers a powerful media engine, which accelerates through the most popular video codecs and can play up to five streams of 8K ProRes 422 video at 30 frames per second or so. Up to 23 streams of 4K ProRes 422 video at 30 frames per second. The M2 Pro is up to 14 times faster than the fastest Intel-based Mac mini.3
When compared to the 27-inch iMac with Intel Core i7 processor and Radeon Pro 5500 XT,4 Mac mini with M2 Pro offers:
- Up to 50 percent faster job and filter performance in Adobe Photoshop.
- Up to 5.5x faster panoramic stitching in Adobe Lightroom Classic.
- Up to 4.4x faster object tracking in Final Cut Pro.
Compared to the previous generation M1 Mac mini,1 Mac mini with M2 Pro provides:
- Up to 2.5x faster graphics performance in Affinity Photo.
- Up to 4.2x faster transcoding ProRes code in Final Cut Pro.
- Play up to 2.8x faster in Resident Evil Village.
With the M2 Pro, Mac mini users can run high-performance workflows previously unimaginable in such a compact form factor. Musicians can produce music with incredibly powerful plug-ins and effects without missing a beat, while photographers can edit massive photos in an instant. Content creators can work seamlessly in multiple cameras with multiple camera formats, including ProRes video, and gamers can play their desired console-quality titles. Up to 15 times faster gaming performance than the fastest Intel-based Mac mini.3
Mac mini continues to deliver broadband connectivity with a large selection of ports. The M2 features two Thunderbolt 4 ports and support for up to two displays. The M2 Pro has four Thunderbolt 4 ports and support for up to three displays. In addition, the M2 Pro model can support a single 8K display, a first for the Mac. Both models feature two USB-A ports, an HDMI port, a Gigabit Ethernet port with an option for 10Gb, and an upgraded headphone jack to support high-impedance headphones. For wireless connectivity, both models also feature the latest standard with Wi-Fi 6E5 For up to 2x faster throughput than before, plus Bluetooth 5.3.
The ultimate desktop PC experience with studio monitor and magic accessories
Paired with the Studio Monitor and Magic accessories, Mac mini delivers an exceptional desktop experience. The Studio Display completes the entire Mac desktop setup experience with its expansive 27-inch 5K Retina display, 12MP Ultra Wide Camera with Center Stage, studio-quality three-microphone array, and six-speaker audio system with spatial audio. Customers can add matching Magic accessories that complement the sleek design of the Mac mini and Studio Monitor.
macOS is coming
With macOS Ventura, Mac mini delivers even greater performance and productivity. Powerful updates like Continuity Camera bring video conferencing features to any Mac, including Desk View, Center Stage, Studio Light, and more. Handoff in FaceTime allows users to start a FaceTime call on their iPhone or iPad and seamlessly transfer it to their Mac, or vice versa. And tools like Stage Manager automatically organize applications and windows, so users can focus on the task at hand and still see everything at a single glance.
Messages and Mail are better than ever, while Safari—the world’s fastest browser on Mac—heralds a passwordless future with passkeys. With iCloud Shared Photo Library, users can now create a separate photo library and share it among up to six family members, and the new Freeform app provides a flexible canvas that helps users be more productive and expressive, whether they’re planning or brainstorming by themselves or with others. . With the power and popularity of Apple silicon, and the new developer tools in Metal 3, gaming on the Mac has never been better.
Mac mini and the environment
Mac mini is designed to reduce its impact on the environment, including 100 percent of the following recycled materials: aluminum in the case, rare earth elements in all magnets, tin in the main logic board solder, and gold in the multi-coating of printed circuit boards. It also contains 35 percent or more recycled plastic in multiple components and meets Apple’s high standards for energy efficiency. It’s free from many harmful substances, and 96 percent of the packaging is fiber-based, bringing Apple closer to its goal of completely eliminating plastic from its packaging by 2025.
Today, Apple is carbon neutral for global corporate operations, and by 2030, it plans to be 100% carbon neutral across the entire manufacturing supply chain and all product lifecycles. This means that every Apple device sold, from component manufacturing, assembly, transportation, customer use, and shipping to recycling and material recovery, will have zero climate impact.
Pricing and availability
- The new Mac mini with M2 and M2 Pro is available to order today, January 17, at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in 27 countries and regions, including the United States. It will begin arriving in customers, and at Apple Store locations and Apple Authorized Resellers, starting Tuesday, January 24.
- Mac mini will be available with the M2 and M2 Pro in AustraliaAnd ChinaAnd Hong KongAnd JapanAnd MacauAnd And New Zealand Starting Friday, February 3.
- Mac mini starts with M2 on $599 (we and $499 (United States) for education. Additional technical specifications are available at apple.com/mac-mini.
- Mac mini with M2 Pro starts at $1299 (we and $1199 (United States) for education. Additional technical specifications are available at apple.com/mac-mini.
- Additional technical details and specifications about the Studio Display and Magic accessories are available at apple.com/store.
- Every customer who buys a Mac from Apple can enjoy a free in-person online session with an Apple specialist; setting up their product in select stores, including assistance with data portability; and receive instructions on how to make their new Mac work the way they want it to.
- With the Apple Trade In program, customers can trade in existing computers and get credit toward the purchase of a new Mac. Customers can visit apple.com/shop/trade-in to see the value of their device.
- AppleCare+ for Mac provides expert technology support and additional coverage for Apple devices, including unlimited accidental damage coverage, each subject to a fee.
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. Apple’s five software platforms—iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS—deliver seamless experiences across all of their Apple devices and empower people to offer advanced services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, and iCloud. Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on Earth, and to leaving the world in a better state than we found it.
- Results compared to previous-generation Mac mini systems equipped with an Apple M1 processor, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16GB of RAM, and 2TB of SSD.
- Testing conducted by Apple in November and December 2022 using preproduction Mac mini systems with an Apple M2, 8-core CPU, 10-core GPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256-inch solid-state drive (SSD) gigabyte, as well as Intel Core i5-based PC systems with Intel UHD Graphics 730 and the latest Windows 11 available at the time of testing. The bestseller system is based on publicly available sales data for the previous 12 months. Performance tests are conducted on specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of a Mac mini.
- Results compared to previous-generation 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7-based Mac mini systems with Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64GB of RAM, and a 2TB solid-state drive.
- Results compared to previous generation 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7-based 27-inch iMac systems with AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory, 8GB of RAM, and 512GB of SSD.
- Wi Fi 6E is not available in mainland China. Requires macOS 13.2 or later in Japan.
Click on Contacts
Michel Del Rio
Apple Media Helpline