New research from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) 29 annual consumer technology holiday buying patterns The report shows that streaming services and video game technologies are among the best tech gifts people are planning to give this season. Closely followed by mobile audio products, smartphones, and health and wellness technology are among the most sought-after technologies of the year on consumer wish lists.
“The growing popularity of video streaming services as a holiday gift shows just how diverse the technology we’ve been sharing in recent years,” said Leslie Rohrbow, director of research at CTA. “Popular gifts such as watches, toys and car accessories are increasingly technology-centric. With the increasing presence of technology in our daily lives, the list of tech gifts offered by consumers will continue to grow.”
Here are the best holiday tech gifts to be given this year, according to CTA’s 29th Annual Consumer Technology Holiday Purchase Pattern Report:
- Content Stream
Video streaming services like Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix have created a competitive market for easily accessible video content. More than 200 music, video, and game streaming services are available to users. About 192 million American adults (75%) plan to purchase at least one content-related product this holiday season.
- Health and wellness
The pandemic has raised awareness of health and wellness products for the home, and sales of products such as the Apple Watch, Fitbit and Oura Ring have shown the increasing popularity of smart wearable technology for health-conscious gift givers. 122 million (44%) of holiday shoppers plan to introduce a health and wellness tech product this year.
- Video games and entertainment products
Interactive and immersive gaming experiences are driving your senses soaring in the US gaming market. Base hardware like Microsoft’s Xbox Series X and Sony’s PlayStation 5 are growing in popularity, as well as immersive AR/VR game worlds like HTC VIVE Pro and Meta’s Quest Pro.
Top Tech gifts from The Numbers
78% (nearly 199 million) of adult shoppers in the United States will buy tech products and services as gifts this holiday season, a record number. The number of American adults buying technology as a holiday gift has increased by three percentage points from 2021.
- 61 million headphones / headphones giftHeadphones and earbuds ranked #1 on the list of the most sought-after holiday gifts for US adult shoppers.
- 59 million gifting streaming/download servicesStreaming services offer increasingly diverse content and holiday shoppers have a wider selection of subscriptions than ever before.
- 54 million gift boxes of mobile devices: The growth in the protective case industry is driven by the popularity and affordability of mobile devices.
- 50 million gifts of smartphonesSmartphone makers continue to innovate and advance, giving early adopters a reason to look for the latest updates and new functions.
- 46 million gifts for video game consolesVideo game consoles jumped from the seventh most popular tech gift of 2021 to the fifth most popular this holiday season.
This report presents the results of an online survey conducted by Big Village, a collaborative research partner of the CTA, among a total sample of 2008 American adults from September 8 to 11, 2022. After data collection was completed, the data set was weighted with six variables to ensure a reliable and accurate representation of the total population United States aged 18 and over. The margin of error for sampling with a 95% confidence interval for the overall results is +/- 2.2%.
About the Consumer Technology Association
As the largest technology trade association in North America, CTA® is the technology sector. Our members are the world’s leading innovators – from startups to global brands – helping support more than 18 million American jobs. Learn more at CTA.tech.
See also: Vanishing: a third of non-subscribers have never received pay TV